Tuesday 27 November 2012

Not Long Now!

I've been waiting over four weeks for my Criminal Record thing to come back. Perhaps it got sent off late with everything else but isn't it always the way that I am the one in a million that went wrong in the system?!

Anyway work went online and submitted another one - and it came back within 24 hours. Why they don't do that in the first place I have no idea ...

So now I'm the (actually in all honestly) proud owner of a uniform, a few boxes of gloves and aprons, hand sanitiser and a clever little nurse's watch that clips on my collar and reads upside down. It's like playing Drs and Nurses when you were small (only I never did) only this is for real.

So many people are trying to put a downer on it I'm getting fed up of defending my decision. This is my life after all. Actually anyone with a negative opinion has never actually done the job so that's interesting...

Tomorrow I have three important writing commissions to finish - and a pony to muck out. And my dogs will no doubt want to go for a bit of a run (or swim) - and then I need to swat like a good little student so I remember what to do. There's stuff on dementia, diabetes, continence, care plans, lifting and handling, mobility, first aid - which is totally different to how it was back in 1980 by the way - lucky I haven't tried to do my version of CPR for a while! With so much to think about the big question is can I put it all into immediate practice? We'll know in 48 hours time. I'm off to go 'shadowing' with a senior carer - Jill. I'll bet she's dreading having to drag me out with her but I'm so looking forward to being able to see how things work.

My biggest worry is walking in to a complete stranger's home on my own with no idea what they expect me to do. I'm not that shy though so I'm sure this time next week I'll be buzzing. I'm thinking back to when I first taught a riding class lesson - aged 17. My boss just told me to remember that the class didn't know I hadn't done it before so to just get on with it. She was right of course and whenever I have a wobble it's what I'll hold onto.

Funny really how two jobs can be so different but bits of the training are relevant to both.

No comments:

Post a Comment