Monday 12 November 2012

Common Sense? A little bit of knowledge always helps!

The training is well under way as I write this and despite early reservations I'm thoroughly enjoying it. My worries weren't about not wanting to do the job - more about whether I'd be able to learn quickly enough to get out there and do it. My initial worries have been thrown to one side by some really friendly and supportive people on the course and by listening to the conversations around me.

Many of the others have worked in the industry prior to joining this company. One has even come back which is encouraging. (Think I may have said that) They all have stories to tell but it's the genuine feelings they have towards the people in their care that encourages me to feel that I'm on the right track.

It's a strange feeling to go in as a complete novice to something. Over the years I've done so much and really established myself in the equestrian industry yet in the care service I know nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Many people I've spoken to assure me that common sense will prevail - and I'm quite sure they're right. The only thing that is worth saying at this stage is that although common sense is something I have tonnes of a little bit of knowledge really does help. Here's a classic example.

Ray, our trainer, mentioned a case scenario he was given in the past.  The service user was an elderly lady with dementia. She's distressed and wants to go home - even though she is actually at home. Ray was asked what he'd do. My first reaction (for which I was feeling quite noble and proud!) was to sit her down and reassure her. Be patient, be understanding and kind, I thought - the top requirements of the job. And here's where experienced common sense kicks in! My answer isn't wrong but it wouldn't have an immediate affect on the service user. Ray's answer - help her get her coat on and take her out to go 'home'. Why?

Anyone with dementia can't help their feelings but they do have limited memory. By taking her out of the door and allowing her to relax because she was doing what she wanted to do he immediately took away the stress of the situation. So much better for everyone concerned.

Then he took the lady round the building once and returned home. By this time, you see, she's forgotten. So although perhaps my answer wasn't exactly wrong it wasn't immediate. I'm in awe of the simplicity of his answer - and it has inspired me to learn as much as I can over the next few days.

So more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment