Saturday 10 February 2018

Five years on...

FIVE years on and I can't believe I haven't checked in and updated this blog. Life just gets in the way sometimes. doesn't it? So much has changed - for the better I must add.

Back in 2013 I was keen and enthusiastic - and very, very naive! - my main concern being that I wouldn't be able to cope with some of the tasks required of me (namely the more medical or personal ones). How wrong I was! The job is the easy but. Working for a care company brings up many more challenges than whether you, yourself, are capable of doing it.

I love working in care but I can honestly say I have never felt as stressed as I became in the year or so I worked for a company. The pressure comes from the lack of time between calls, the number of calls needed within a short space of time, ensuring you arrive at a service user's home at a correct time because you are 'doubling up' with another carer (when you are already running late with your other calls), wanting to do the best job you can without the time to do it, the shortage of staff (which the office are always telling you is going to get better soon) - on top of which the office who are constantly calling to ask if you can 'just fit in Mr X' because someone else has gone off sick, broken down, is waiting for an ambulance etc. Add to that the pressure of a home life and a husband who would dearly like you to be a part of his life and the pressure becomes too much. After eighteen months with one company I had to leave - or lose my sanity. But, by then I had the experience, the confidence, the contacts, the knowledge of what I needed to do to help people with social workers etc. AND I knew I could do a great job so I had the foundations for starting out on my own.

There are so many different problems in the care system but I don't have the answer. I would love to set up the perfect company and ensure all clients of perfectly organised rotas, with fully caring staff who always turn up for work but I can't.

Instead, I have done the next best thing. I have set up as a self-employed carer under the company title of Your Home, My Help. I work from Monday to Friday, don't work nights or weekends (yes it really can be done) and only take on clients that I can safely and competently assist - sometimes I work with other private carers so we can cover for each other or fill in gaps that we can't fill. It's hard to say 'no' to anyone but unfortunately there are times when I can't fit someone in or their needs are too much for one carer on their own. I am now working at full capacity, with a waiting list and I absolutely love what I do.

I have established myself in our local, rural areas as a reliable and professional person who will travel to the remote places care companies struggle to reach; a problem I spotted when I worked for the company. Word of mouth is a wonderful thing and the best advert I could have - I never need to advertise and any gaps are quickly filled. District nurses and some of our GP's know me now too which really helps if I have a problem - it's also a great boost to my confidence when they listen to my opinion.

I came back to write this post in case any other aspiring carers were out there. I wanted to let them know that caring is a fantastic job. It's a rewarding job and one in which the clients you work with are always pleased to see you, need you and are grateful that you're there - what more can you want? I know some people find working for care companies OK but it didn't work for me, even though the actual job suited me really well. I'm enjoying what I set out to do five years ago, wouldn't change it for the world and have found a niche in which I can do a great job as well as fitting it in with the rest of my life. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment